Thread: Pay to Play?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2002, 02:12 AM   #4
Seraphina

Seraphina is on a distinguished road
I like it. I can only speak of DR because its the only game I know. I have checked out reviews of other games and will be asking questions at some point and maybe trying one out.

I was hoping people would offer information on other payment structures and how they feel it impacts the games they have played. I also think that some people feel that all games in which one pays to play automatically means people can buy power. I have not found that to be true in DR.

Premium means that after three months you can obtain a house, but houses do not confer special status. They are fun to have but no where near necessary. There are some small extra hunting areas but again none that confer a significant advantage. They have bank books in which they can see all the coins they have in each bank, but I could keep track of that with a piece of paper. They have vault books which list the contents of their vaults and I could do that by looking in my vault and cutting and pasting into a file. Premium benefits mainly offer conveniences, not more valuable items nor experience. A non-premium member can become the richest, or highest level, character in game.

Platinum membership is an entirely different server so has no impact on the main server. That is 42.50 a month and the population is much much lower. I think around 30 or 40 primetime. The main benefit seems to be that the players are like-minded and more heavily into roleplaying. Some players there fell in love with it and adore the smaller population. Others hated how few players there are and left due to it. Ironically the most expensive option seems to duplicate part of what is offered in free muds, a smaller more roleplay intensive environment. I suspect that what it has over the free muds is the game engine and huge world.

QUOTE]What's everyones opinion of P2P and free muds? Some people have said P2P aren't very good because if you have several levels of payment, then those who pay the lower amount will feel disadvantaged because the higher payments have more available to them, whether in skills, events, areas, whatever.[/quote]

That is the general impression I was getting, and I really don't believe it's a problem in DR because the world is so huge. My perception of some of the games is that it matters a lot. For example, free only to 20th level after which you have to pay. To me that translates into trial membership not free. What happens then? Do you pay each time you level? How much? Can you buy equipment that gives you a significant advantage over others? That sounds much much worse to me but then I don't really know. If a person can pretty much buy everything their character might want for 10 to 15 dollars a month then the set up isn't that different.

LOL, we get that at DR too. Most GMs, AGMS, and Hosts are volunteers. Most of the money goes to onsite staff and infrastructure.

I would really like to hear from people who have played other "pay to play" games and especially from people who have tried both.
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote