View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Re: Properly Utilizing Builder Creativity

WHIPS!

Ok.. Seriously.

1) I find the most effective methods are to make sure they understand the vision, and only allow building to start on a project once the basic design is approved. The builder comes up with a basic idea for an area they would like to create, and we discuss it. As long as it's close enough to the overall vision, we make some tweaks to it and they move on to making a full proposal(map, concept for major quests/NPCs in the area, etc). Another discussion, more modifications and then off to the real building. This adds a little more work to the process, but definately helps to make sure the vision stays consistent and the bonus of well planned and quality areas.

2) As per above, this is normally caught at the earliest stage. I try to work with them, modifying it so that it does fit. If it's helpless, or (more likely) the builder just doesn't want to change it... sorry, it won't go in.

3) Ah, the big one... in Tears of Polaris we have five ranks for builders, from trainee to normal builder to manager. The higher your rank the more freedom you have, as you should have a good feeling for the overall vision by the time you get there, as well as authority to approve the work of others. That is one way to help, but doesn't work for everyone. Another approach that I'm fond of, though obviously cannot use right now, is to let them design some events, giving them another outlet for their creativity while increasing the enjoyment of all the players. If they are a really good builder, I would try to work with them as best I can to keep them... but if they feel stifled because of a repeating problem #2 then they might be a better fit in another world.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote