View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you enjoy about RP?

I love getting "in character" and thinking about things from a different perspective.

I love when my characters have very different opinions to me, it lets me think of things from a different perspective, and provides a mental challenge. For example, a character who believes in anarchy (the political system rather than just "everyone does whatever they want") - that one core aspect shaped so much of the rest of the character, it leads to having a very libertarian outlook, defining how interactions with other characters happens, etc. etc. - even though I'm often something of a conservative myself.

I also like the opportunity to approach problems and puzzles in a new way. In most computer games, the puzzles and solutions are very rigidly defined. You can kill the bad guy by dropping a box on them, shooting something explosive nearby, shooting them directly, etc. etc. - there may be many options, but they are limited based on the code of the game. In a social setting, there are infinite options, some of which will work and some won't work. If I'm playing Mass Effects, I can come up with a personality for my character, but that personality won't have a significant effect on the game, despite there being "in character" choices and dialogue. If I'm playing a social RP game, the personality I put into my character makes a very big difference. Heck, even just having a specific type of accent will change how others react to me, and thus significantly change the game for me.

I also like when actions have consequences. And I like when those consequences are organic and not necessarily obvious at the time. Nothing greater than finding out there was a well-laid and executed plot against my character, and now I'm IC in trouble...
or laying a plot, scrambling to solve any complications, and pulling it off.
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote