View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
The Importance of Art

Okay, I've got to take a break from all the arguing for a while. Does anyone else find it really draining? (Rhetorical question, don't answer that!)

Well, we're all involved in text muds here, and for most of us, that means there are NO GRAPHICS in our games. (Okay, there might be some instances of ASCII art, but no one's gushing about our water effects.)

I, however, believe that art is still very, very important for things such as clients and websites. What do you guys do for your art? Do you look for art online? Do you hire your own artists? If you do, where do you go to find them?

Are any of you minimalists and believe the less art on your page the better? How much of a role do you think that visual art plays in your gaming world?

The art on our site, in my opinion, helps define our game. We've always tried to have a very "fantasy-ish" style of art on our site. For most of our site, we have hired our own artists or written for explicit permission to use someone's art on our site. I think it's very important to give players a general "visual" sense of our world so that they have something to spark their imagination.

We also have a lot of players that are hobbyist artists and a few professional ones, and we encourage them to link to them on their player pages. In some cases, we will showcase their art if they do a specific scene that can be used on our page. It helps build the community, and it's always wonderful to see what a world that we created has inspired.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote