View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #190
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

Really? I don't watch or read any of those any more. They are a joke when it comes to news - only concerning themselves with sound bites and the next sex scandal. They chase each others' tails following the same sensational news stories I don't care about. There's a reason their news departments are either failing or in danger of failing financially.

When I speak about the media attention, I am talking about the attention for the general issue of Wikiepdia's "deletionism" - not just people talking about Threshold. Threshold got the story started, but the "main issue" is about gaming history in general, preservation of obscure topics, and Wikipedia's role in preserving non-mainstream information. 20+ gaming blogs. Multiple gaming news sties including Massively.com. I was interviewed by a radio station Monday. I have been contacted by a couple of print sources, but until they actually run a story I don't want to jinx it. That's massive media attention in my opinion.

Even the Wikipedia editors/admins noted the way they are deleting things like mad is getting a lot of negative media attention, and that they should be aware of it.

But hey, be a negative Nancy if you want. I'm just happy that a story starting out about a MUD can still generate interest and concern from news sources that usually wouldn't show us any interest. It means our shared hobby still matters to a lot of people out there. It also means if we work together as a community, we can still attract some positive media attention. Those are all good things.

Last edited by Threshold : 01-13-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote