View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #19
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Gromble wrote:
Well first, it's hardly surprising that people who chose to go to university in an English-language-speaking country would speak English, is it?

Second, you're kind of missing the point. You're telling me they're speaking about technology in their native language, using English terms here and there. That's like saying Latin is the language of science since so many scientific words come from Latin, and that thus all science books should be published in Latin.

Terms != the English language. Languages freely borrow from each other, and just because we call appetizers served before sitting down to dinner "hors d'oeuvres" doesn't mean that we're speaking French when we talk about dinner. Presenting a book about food to me in French would be about as useful as presenting a game to your average Chinese MUD player in English.

This argument is a bit pointless really. Simply look around. There's a huge Asian market, and none of the major MUDs over there run in English. And if English was truly universal, don't you think that Sohu.com and Baidu.com would be in English by default? (they are both in the top 10 websites in the world in terms of traffic. Sohu, I believe, is in the top 5.)

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote