Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Creating Game History

Primordiax is RP enforced.

No, but I used real world ecology to determine the weather patterns, the currents, and the layout of the biomes. The map, however, is completely unique. I just applied real world science to an alien topography.

I did both. I started off with the big events. Then I broke them down to small details that I felt would be listed by the historians of the world and then took out what I didn't think would survive through time. Those tidbits are added into the game itself for players to discover.

We did both at the same time. We had an idea of core mechanics and themes that we wanted to incorporate based on a world that we had already discussed. Since the world is also an extension of an already existing game, we had to deal with both issues at the same time. The history simply evolved since we had a current setting and a past setting, and we needed to get from point A to point B.

The history was more of a natural progression even though we had a point A to start with and ended with a point B. Effective storytelling comes when writers let things evolve as they should. Some of point B changed as things developed from point A.

We have a multitude of race and cultures that all view the world in different ways. Add that to the various political, socio-economic issues, and religious meanderings and you get a pretty big mix of viewpoints. I also tried to incorporate some real world historical movements but with a bit of a fantastical twist.

Right now, players are able to look at historical movements and decide what to do in a world that has recently had its population almost completely destroyed. They have a lot of freedom to decide how they want things to be currently, and the players can look at history to help determine how they want to shape the world.

-----

Developing Primordiax was very different from developing Threshold RPG, but I was not key in creating the world. I simply helped flesh it out a lot more. With Threshold, players ended up determining most of the history with very few documents to guide them. Almost everything was discovered or occurred in character. This presented some problems for the playerbase, but they were still able to perform remarkably well. Threshold was not based on a real world model either, though its religion system was heavily inspired by Greek mythology. Threshold's history was very sparse, but with 13 years of player history now, it's become a very complicated world both in politics and religion.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote