View Single Post
Old 05-17-2002, 06:35 AM   #1
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Having checked out many of the MU*s on TMS, just the info itself, I've noticed that a lot of them are either "rp-encouraged" or "PK" games with rp "acceptable" but not necessarily a focus of the game.

Okay, I certainly understand that some folks prefer the hack-n-slash and levelling up to roleplaying. But I wonder....

If these games in particular don't require roleplaying, why do they bother requiring you to create a character? Why not just let you come in as you, with specific skills and classes, and let you have fun as yourself? Why have races? Why not just have you come in as you, set a "type" in the chargen - such as the ability to fly (instead of rolling up a winged creature), or the ability to use crushing weapons better than edged (instead of an ogre for example), etc. etc.?

I always thought, in my ignorance I guess, that the whole point of having a character creation system was to create a character. Meaning, someone other than yourself. And that the point of -that- was for you to be someone other than yourself. To roleplay. That's what roleplaying is, afterall.

So I ask the forum members from IMMs and IMPs to players alike: why have races and names required in your chargen if you have no intention of roleplaying, and why require it if your game isn't meant to be RP enforced?

R
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote