View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 03:15 PM   #19
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
I skipped the last few posts because I got impatient, so if I end up repeating someone, sorry.

I've never been an RPer, and in fact I have usually been playing muds with people who are very non-RP-oriented. I have come to hate RP with a passion more for personal reasons than inexperience per se, but it's been a while and I couldn't even tell you anymore if I'm good at it still.

As for a question asked earlier, "Why do non-rpers even play rp muds", I think it has to do a lot with resentment. Really decent pkers, guys who spend a lot of time developing combat tactics that ensure them very effective victories against other players, hate the fact that most mudders don't log onto a good pk mud for more than 3 seconds anymore. Half the time it's an AOLer screaming about how they aren't level 51 yet with a huge sword, and the other half of the time it's an elitist RPer trying to stick their nose above the combat in an attempt to "convert" these "poor, lost, prepubescent initiates". It's frankly offensive to see this kind of stuff happen, and yet it persists.

I'd like to point out the fact that there is an RP forum on this site, but not a pk forum. Why? No one seems to think that pk is a large enough topic to merit having an actual forum.

I'm getting a bit worked up at the moment. I've seen some really stupid people log onto a couple of muds I play in the last few days, and it's been bugging me. Thanks for the conversation topic, and remember: just because you don't understand our motivations doesn't mean we aren't just as good at playing the game as you are.

-Visko

Oh, right, I was getting to the subject of why pkers play rp muds. Half the time, it's to sneak on when the imms aren't around, power-level as fast as possible, and depopulate the mud by way of totally illegally killing everyone OOC as much as possible. Seen it happen, heard the guys laughing gleefully afterwards. It's childish and stupid, but the fact that it works at all is my biggest cause for worry.
visko is offline   Reply With Quote