Thread: Rapture license
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #83
Stilton

Stilton is on a distinguished road
KaVir:
Yes, topic drift.  Since we don't have the data to quantify the success of companies like Skotos relative to Iron Realms, it was more interesting to me to find out to what extent other businesses had survived on licensing vs writing their own without quibbling over the level of success.  I just didn't think that I deserved the gratuitous insult.

But VME still isn't quite like Rapture, is it?  Quite a bit beyond sockets is hard coded?

True, but if you've got 5 tasks to do, saying that it will take a long time to get them all done doesn't prove anything about whether it's better to do task 1 yourself or sub it out.

I agree that coding is only a small part of the job.

True, but $10,000 is also a pretty small amount of money when considered as part of startup costs for most businesses.

Many businesses would consider $10,000 pretty cheap to move your opening date closer by a month, and the royalties a cheap way of getting continuing bugfixes/development taken care of.

I wish them luck- any successful venture, hobbyist or commercial, can only help attract people to the community.

Stilton
Stilton is offline   Reply With Quote