View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with RPI-Engine

Well, it's like this:

Are you absolutely sure in every way absolutely that you are using the exact same version of mysql absolutely as the software is intended to use? Do note how much emphasis I've put on this...you might have multiple mysql installs, or maybe it wants a different sql implementation...etc. The problem with codebases that use a lot of technology is more spots for things to go wrong.

Also, if this is the engine from atonement, this is the first time I've heard of anyone using it; I'm not sure if we're talking about atonement's version or SoI's version.

Is your server a vps? Is it shared? If it's not a vps, you may need one, depending on a lot of things. You want sudo access if you don't know linux, as some mistakes are much easier to undo if you have it (chmod and chown I'm looking at you).

The thing is this: we can't really help without access to your system. The software may or may not be bugged, it's hard to tell from this end.

I believe different linux distros have slightly different path setups--that is, the defaul include/library paths for things are different. The thing about linux is this: it's a lot less standard than windows. Sure, some parts are standard, but there's at least 3 desktop environments and anyone who wants can make a distro. With package managers thrown in the mix, it's quite possible that it won't resemble those directions at all.

Compiling things for 64-bit that are written as 32-bit, depending on programming language, may cause problem. A lot of older mud software makes asumptions about bitfield widths and such that don't hold true for 64-bit. If the rpi-engine has any code like this in it, it'll crash and burn at some point because you're running it as 64-bit.

Good luck with this; if this is the engine I think it is, however, I don't think many people are using it. If the setup is this complicated, I'm not really sure why someone hasn't written an autoconfigure script of some sort. We are talking about the SoI engine?
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote