Thread: MUD Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
TG_Hammar

TG_Hammar is on a distinguished road
There is more to the differences between builders and coders than is readily obvious.  My example is:  what do you take away (in terms of skills, knowledge and experience) after you leave the MUD.

Builders:  You will obviously advance your spelling and grammar skills once you master the art of area building.  If you are a really good builder, you will have inserted a kernel of inspiration in your mind that will feed your creativity and imagination for years to come.  The key here is to be a good builder, and not just the average newbie builder who routinely makes spelling and grammar goofs and could care less.

Coders:  You will learn (if you have not already) all of the dynamics of altering huge chunks of code and the adverse effects that can result from even the most minor adjustment.  Your analytical mind as well as your technical abilities will increase.  You will most likely spend more time as a troubleshooter and bug hunter than as a creator and as a result learn what not to do and how to make troubleshooting easier (ie. documentation).  It is possible you will learn and experience all of this and never have a paying job that is coding related but the experiences and knowledge will help keep your mind sharp.

In my opinion building has a much faster turnaround for rewards and enjoyment + all of the results are more visible.  A coder may work for months updating or modifying bits of networking code that most players may never notice or appreciate.  I appreciate coders and what they do.  Coding is very hard WORK (dirty, dirty word).  I build because I want to have FUN and I truly enjoy building.
TG_Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote