View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Suicide Boy

Suicide Boy is on a distinguished road
Question IRE MUDs: Credit System (and/or Time Investment)

I would like to begin by acknowledging the presence of Iron Realms Entertainment administrators, in-game referees (gods, wizards, immortals, etc.), and even Matt Mihaly himself on this forum. In other words, I am aware that you're here, and also that any or all of you may read this thread at some point. Ergo, I will bear that in mind as I write.

I would also like to state — for the record, as they say — that I haven't been involved with any MUD (or MUSH, or MOO) for several years now, that I don't have a hidden agenda to pursue, and that I departed my last MUD (Avalon: The Legend Lives) as a player in good standing. I left due purely to personal reasons and the demands of an oft-chaotic lifestyle.

Finally, I realize that in addition to IRE staff members and employees, many other posters here at TMS own and/or operate (or help to operate) their own MUDs, including (but not limited to) Aristotle and Threshold, Lasher and Aardwolf, and Brody and OtherSpace. I truly respect the value and worth of everyone's home MUD, so I will try to remain completely neutral when and if the pros and cons of non-IRE MUDs make their way into this thread.

Why did I write this little preface? Well, discussing the way in which a MUD finances itself and how that affects me as a potential player is a sensitive issue, both for me and people with a stake in IRE games. 'Nuff said, I think.

--------------------------------

Now that that's out of the way, on to the meat of this topic:

I've recently gotten the itch to play MUDs again, and simply put, I want to try something new. Lately, I've been gravitating towards Achaea, Lusternia, or perhaps one of IRE's other commercial MUDs as the most attractive options. Now, I'm not entirely unfamiliar with these games; I tried Achaea for a few weeks in 2006 (I think?), and during that period, I learned enough to get the gist of how Iron Realms' donation system (i.e., credits) works, and also what sort of perks can be purchased with said credits.

At this time, I would like to assure you that I absolutely condone MUD players making generous and regular donations to their MUD of choice — far above and beyond the graphical MMO standard of $15/month, when possible. I'm not one of those silly people who believe businesses should all operate as charities, or that trying to turn a profit is morally wrong. I know that in a hobby this size, MUDs need all the support they can get.

That being said, I am a university post-grad. Not only is my time somewhat limited, but so are my finances. I'm willing to donate more funds to IRE than someone who's simply broke (for the sake of argument, say $30-$40 a month), and I'm willing to spend more time on the game than someone whose life is INCREDIBLY busy (say, 20 hours a week).

What I need to know is this: Will that amount of commitment on my part be enough to enjoy a game like Achaea properly? I know it's not enough to be king of the hill — Achaea is well known for players who've spent thousands of US dollars on in-game assets. But will it be enough to significantly reduce the grind endured by players who don't donate at all, and have to farm in-game currency to trade for their credits? In your opinion, will I end up feeling like a virtual second-class citizen?

Why don't I just start playing an IRE game right now and see how it goes, you may ask? Simple: Unlike a game with a set monthly fee, or a game that doesn't allow payment (or donations) for perks, I don't really know what I'm getting myself into yet, and probably won't for a month or more. I don't want to play the game for three months, enjoy it, and get attached to it, then become frustrated with it because I don't have the wherewithal to commit to it properly.

I'm basically just looking for feedback and trying to do my homework before I commit — nothing more, nothing less.

Thank you very much for reading this post. It's quite long, and probably somewhat annoying as well if I've perpetrated any inaccuracies or exaggerations in the process of writing it.

Impressions from past and current players of IRE games regarding their experiences with the credit system are very welcome, as are comments from IRE staff members. It must be said, however, that I will take staff members' comments with a grain of salt, because there's bound to be some bias at work, even if you come by it honestly and intend it benevolently.

Last edited by Suicide Boy : 03-22-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: formatting
Suicide Boy is offline   Reply With Quote