View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
Doreen

Doreen is on a distinguished road
I try to use the pose order that I think will be best for the scene. If two characters are having a witty banter session, that often calls for snappy dialogue, which is just bogged down by a lot of drawn-out action description.

If someone wants to pose a huge paragraph at a time, I have no inherent problem with that. If they're a good writer, it can be worth the wait. The problems that I have is when the paragraphs feel padded. I don't want to wait fifteen minutes for one line of real content, and ten lines of laundry list detailing how each feature on the person's face is functioning. (There are, of course, exceptions to this, which involve being such a fantastic writer that you can make this kind of padding fun to read.)

The other problem that long poses often create is dialogue. I hate hate hate it when there are too many lines of dialogue in one pose. In real life, you get -mad- when people hog the conversation and talk too much. But in MUSH RP, there's this odd phenomenon where each character will orate for a little while, then pass the torch off to the next character, and none of them will find that odd IC.

Even worse is when the poses start to get so long that you have to have "Jane looks at Bob and says X. She replies to Bill's question with Y. She nods and says Z to Bert."

That's just -way- too awkward. It would be so much more fun, snappy, and readable if each of those were individual poses.
Doreen is offline   Reply With Quote