View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004, 04:03 AM   #22
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
As I said before, I've implemented this approach in the past (for a now long-gone mud). Picking something up would put it into one of your hands, from where it could be worn (weapons would also be worn - you'd strap them to one of nine possible location from where they could later be drawn).

The problem is it was very unwieldy to use, so I started tweaking it to make it more usable - the then-redundant "inventory" command was modified to list the content of all containers you were wearing (trouser/jacket pockets, backpack/s, pouch/es, etc), and various other commands were adjusted to access those locations directly (eg you could eat food or drink from flasks without having to get them out of your backpack and pocket each time).

The end result was that I spent a large amount of time and effort developing a system which added unnecessary realism at the expense of gameplay. I realised that at the end of the day, it's easier just to assume that your inventory represents the stuff in your backpack and pockets, and not bother going too much into specifics.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote