Thread: Fact VS Opinion
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Fact VS Opinion

It doesn't have to though. If people would simply leave their opinion out of the equation and examine facts, a lot of the problems seen in some of the discussions could be avoided.

The problem is that this isn't true. It's an opinion. To state that someone else's intention is a "deliberate attempt" without proof is part of the problem. You can't know someone else's motivations other than your own.

That's not the entirety of the argument. Some individuals may hold that position but not all. To claim "entirety" is not a fact, it's an opinion. The argument started over use of a term in a context that continually varies from the origin of the term. Instead of looking at the facts and analyzing them to try and discern a definition, people began applying their own interpretation of the term, some in agreement with the facts and others in opposition. Straw man arguments, gross stereotyping, sarcasm, and insult began to seep in (or pour in depending on the individuals involved) and that just led to frustration, bitterness, and anger by all.

Your own statement above that "the entirety of the argument is based on the opinion that something is 'better' than something else" is one such example of how the points brought up were not discussed, merely turned into arguments regarding intent of the individual rather than the merit of the points themselves. While some may have very well based their arguments on a "something is 'better'" opinion, not everything said was the result of this method.

I noticed there was a distinct lack of rational response to my own analysis and attempt to determine a core set of features to which the term RPI applied to. The only real response was claims that it was "my preference" when it was nothing of the sort. It was a list of shared features found on the first MUDs to which the term RPI was applied. The data was verifiable if anyone had bothered to verify it. Not many appeared to do so. Instead there were claims merely to the affect of what I prefered, something that barring an uncanny telepathic ability can not be achieved (and even if it could, they'd have discovered that my preferences extend to other features not found on that list).

I'd like to see the discussion continue without the unnecessary bull****. Whether or not others feel the same, I can not say. All I can speak for in that regard is myself.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote