Thread: Fact VS Opinion
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Re: Fact VS Opinion

I agree, and attribution of that sort is a polite acknowledgment of those who inspired you. (Armageddon has inspired a lot of games, but there is obviously a subset that they have more heavily influenced.) I don't know the full history of the feature sets, but if Armageddon was the first MUD to successfully push in that direction, it's appropriate to credit them.

By comparison, we're based off of DIKU/ROM. The percentage of our code that is still identical 14 years later to any version of DIKU/ROM is vanishingly small, but we're happy to disclose their role in helping us build our game.

When you dismiss with a broad brush the opinions of others as irrational, you probably aren't going to get the style of feedback you claim to desire.

You're making the case that the acronym RPI has commonly been applied to games with features similar to Armageddon. I don't think anyone's disputing that, in a historical sense. What is being more commonly disputed is if "Role-Play Intensive" is limited to only games which resemble that style. (And, to a lesser extent, who gets to make that decision.)

"Armageddon Feature Set" is less ambiguous. It would be silly for a roleplaying game with vastly different code to call themselves that. But they may well have a legitimate claim of "intense roleplaying", and it's not clear where you (or they) could derive the authority of denying others the use of that term.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote