View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 03:21 AM   #16
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You seem to have missed the point.

Imagine the scenario where someone created a mud in which there was no implementation of hunger - you could eat, but it was purely cosmetic (it just destroyed the food object).  Within such a mud, how would you feel about an echo at breakfast time, lunchtime and tea time, telling everyone on the mud that they're feeling hungry?  Personally I'd think it was silly, because some of those people might well have stuffed themselves only minutes earlier.  But does that mean you can make the sweeping statement that telling players "you are hungry" is a "bad thing", on the basis that some muds might not have implemented hunger?  Of course not.

The problem is not with using "you", or with telling people how they feel - the problem is with sending potentially inaccurate information.

As an aside, every mud I've ever seen has used at least a very basic form of dynamic room description - if the character is unable to see due to being blind, or because the room is too dark, they will see a more appropriate message instead of the room description.  I think that's good, because it would be silly to have every room description blank on the basis that some people might not be able to see - although there is obvious much potential for improvement (such as, for example, including sounds and smells which would not be affected by lack of vision).

And I've no idea why you brought up the concept of randomly generated rooms - they have nothing to do with this issue.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote