View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: The Grind

I know Guild Wars was originally designed to remove grinding (although in practice it's more a case of greatly reducing the amount of grind necessary to reach the top level). However there's an interesting comment on the grind entry in wikipedia:

"ArenaNet made a series of online RPG games called Guild Wars in which grind was initially removed. Indeed, the low level cap of 20 was easily achievable and meant not to be point of game, usually reached by 1/3 of the game and maxed equipment was easily achievable even for casual players. But because of criticism of players used to grinding model to provide challenge, grinding aspects were reintroduced in subsequent campaigns in form of Titles which offered ingame bonuses for grinding actions, elitist titles would require over thousand hours of playtime, making initial attempts to create a grind free game essentially called off."

I don't know if the above comment is actually true, but it's the sort of thing I could easily imagine players complaining about.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote