View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #54
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

That might be true except of course that MUSHers are no more likely to be better writers than RP MUDders. In my experience, quite the opposite has been true. The main difference I've seen with MUD and MUSH emote/poses is that the latter tend to be longer and quite often feature proportionally more errors in grammar and spelling. I've seen far more run-on sentences, unnecessary comma splices, inappropriate vocabulary and poor spelling on MUSHes than I have RP MUDs. This is possibly because they try to cram far too much into a pose rather than divide it up into specific actions. They also tend to labor over making their poses some sort of literary masterpiece when it just turns out a florid and convoluted mess. Longer does not equal better.

That's not to say that many RP MUDders are any better to say nothing of some of your H&S players. There are people with good writing skills and there are people with poor writings skills in every game whether it's MUD or MUSH. It's just been my observation that the only real difference I've seen between the "quality" of writing on RP MUDs versus MUSH is that the latter tend to make more errors. On average the RP on MUDs reminds me of watching a run-of-the-mill television show while the RP on MUSHes is more like a badly-written, unpublishable book.

Jason
(Waiting for someone to take this as some sort of insult instead of the personal observation that it is)
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote