View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #144
Thagrahn

Name: William
Thagrahn is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

Everything I've managed to read through tells me that although it is possible to run a MUD in a smartphone app, it doesn't sound like a very good idea.

A list of reasons why it could be trouble to make a MUD app.
Graphics interface would take up a lot of room, and limit the amount of detail that can be given in the text. The length of player posts would also be limited do to the smaller text area.
2. Event without a graphics interface, the smaller screen of the phone will already limit the text area.
3. To get event close to the number of player options in a MUD, the Graphics interface would need list withing list within list of choices.
4. Event if the touch based interface is limited to the basic direction and a graphic of the current room, details, choices and text will be covered up by the in-phone keyboard.
5. Event if connected with a website, the app will always feel limiting to older players.

The things that make MUDs better that most graphic based games is the level of interaction, the variety of player choices, and the number of options available to a player at any given time.

At best you could have multiple apps that let the Player gain access to aspects of the Character, and do mini-game style activities such as; crafting, quick skirmish combat, access guild/clan/house information, or do basic explaoration of part of the world.

Apps are meant to be quick and simple, while MUDs are indepth, long-term, detailed, and full of choices.

Aside from the traditional wall of text over a basic graphic background, it will be hard to contain the rich tapestry of a good MUD.

For those of you who want Your MUDs on the go with your smartphones, just look at your phone's keypad and screen to see the basic problems there.

While I do like the Website based MUDs I have seen, the play style, and the basic way the MUD works is still all the same underneath all the graphics.
Thagrahn is offline   Reply With Quote