Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Blay

Home MUD: Achaea
Blay is on a distinguished road
Re: Death

I didn't mean to offend in any way if I did and I do admit to knowing next to nothing about how to run one of these games. All I know is how I feel, as a player. And you should also keep in mind that I only posted my own opinions. I'm sure that other players differ from myself greatly. Having said that, I personally believe there could be some sort of middle ground to find a fix that isn't too frustrating on players and one that also caters to those who run the games themselves. To me, I still get that feeling of nervousness when participating in any pk. Though, I don't think it has anything to do with the consequences. It centers around pride for me. Most muds have some sort of skills or announcements that show character deaths. Showing up on the wrong side of that has always been what got me “all worked up”.

I do think that death should have some kind of a negative effect. Otherwise, there would be no way to regulate the 12 year olds who get their kicks out of causing trouble. But there -has- to be another way to go about it. Having players be forced to hack-n-slash their way into regaining lost xp and equipment in these games is annoying. Having to do it once in order to get a character up to a high enough level to participate in pk is enough and can actually be fun when a player is new to the game. Anything that is highly repetitive and adds to frustrations isn't generally a good thing for a game about entertainment.

This is just my opinion though. I'm sure most of you know more about it than I do.
Blay is offline   Reply With Quote