View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #36
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I agree that the site doesn't give a good definition of RPI. Part of the problem was that very problem we're discussing here and the fact that it had not come to the attention of the site's founders until well after the site was operational.

Wade left the definition vague and as soon as he created the site, a bunch of games that don't fit the traditional meaning of the term entered the site. Needless to say, I don't believe that had he included a more specific definition it would have prevented this from happening as there were even some H&S (which even stated that they were "role-play accepted" and not even enforced) which created listings; they were removed as soon as the obvious was noted. Unfortunately, there was no device in place to confirm acceptance to the listings, merely an after-the-fact check by staff and manual removal then. As a result of that, and due to the site's staff being unable to do the extensive confirmation at the time, several MUDs that clearly did not meet the criteria of the term slipped in and were established within the community. While a few were rejected, ultimately, by the time others were reviewed it was clear that the listings were not composed of the original intent. The problem existed of what to do as the very problem of confusing use of the term which we here are discussing was now present at that site.

Removal of numerous games already on the site would only serve to create animosity while accepting some and rejecting others would create hypocrisy. That was one of the reasons I suggested the RPI-RPO-RPE distinction. Wade agreed but chose to use a different angle on my term RPO (pretty much splitting RPO and combining most RPO with RPE) by using the simple definition of "more natural" versus "more mechanical" skill advancement as the determining factor (a summary of some but not all the characteristics which originally defined the term RPI). Regardless, I don't think Wade had yet implemented at the time of his retirement from managing the site.

I believe the wording used on rpimud.com to describe an RPI MUD is in need of revision to more accurately denote the context and origin of the term itself and recommended on the forums that it be used while simultaneously opening the site to any role-play enforced MUD (thereby not removing any MUDs already welcomed into the community despite their clear failure to meet the term). Incidently, acceptance of all Role-Play Enforced MUDs was opposed most strongly by one of the MUDs which would best fit the RPE category I outlined (they of course referred to themselves as RPI despite possessing very, very few of the characteristics that term originally applied to).

Personally, I am not opposed to the greater inclusion of Role-Play Enforced MUDs on the site so long as an effort is made to draw distinctions which will allow potential players to know whether or not a game has the characteristics they are looking for. When the site will reflect this change I can not say as the site's staff member responsible for creating the listing features has other responsibilities elsewhere which occupy his time as well.

Finally, I personally applaud Threshold and New Worlds for their honesty in not using the term RPI. I only wish more MUDs were willing to be honest in that regard. It would save players a lot of confusion.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote