View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Quick, short descriptions

I don't think I'm making such an argument.

It's more of a "How do I distinguish Excalibur and give players the option to recognize it on sight?".

I figure that if someone does NOT want to have their character recognize Excalibur on sight (by name), they would still know "Wow, there's something special about this weapon" and roleplay accordingly, or they also have the option of ignoring it completely. Whereas, the more "gossipy", "know-it-all", or "well-learned" characters could easily say, "Oh, you're the wielder of Excalibur? I've heard of that sword, but I've never heard of you. How did you get that weapon? Is that the REAL Excalibur?"

I liked your masterpiece item scenario, but I think I'm possibly discussing something beyond that. Let's say we're wanting "Starry Night" specifically instead of a van Gogh painting. Does that make sense? What other options are there on giving characters the knowledge that this is "Starry Night" immediately without actually giving the object the short description of "Starry Night"? Or perhaps the best option is to simply show it as "Starry Night".
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote