View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Two people looking for a Game

You're going to get the standard list over the next few days, so I'll just post my few I'd try if I were looking:

1. New Words Ateraan () is a decent roleplaying scene, without permanent death. Private housing exists, but if I recall, it's pretty expensive and tough to get. It would be awhile before you and your friend did so. The playerbase normally exceeds the 40-50 range you're looking for, and generally, it's a pretty mature environment with most of the playerbase dedicated to roleplaying. The emote system is pretty plain and standard, but the people there make it work. The world is decent sized, but I wouldn't call it large compared to some of the muds out there. Crafting is generally restricted to two of the character classes, and it's not a very detailed system, and the economy is fairly standard: kill for money, spend money, repeat. PvP exists, but it's not too common. Generally, people who RP being sinister and evil don't do well, but that's just plain realistic. People who RP aren't going to stand aside and passively encourage inconvenient and evil people, just because they want to foster unique and interesting characters on an OOC level. That would be breaking character.

2. This kind of new RPI mud, Echoes of Alibion, (echoesofalbion.net) has been getting some good buzz. It's really small still, though. "Private" housing exists to the extent that you can gather materials and build yourself a house, but it's not technically private in that people can barge in if they really want to ignore the RP ramifications in doing so. The playerbase probably falls in the 5-20 range. The emote system is extremely awesome and well coded. The world is pretty small but they're working on it, and it's not tough finding things to do just in the small number of areas they currently have. Crafting is massively complex, and there are a whole bunch of skills for making things, with a huge mess of raw materials that have to be collected or made. The economy is pretty nonexistent. The game needs more players before things really start to have a value. PvP exists, but it's an RP system rather than a traditional PvP combat system. Antagonist characters generally get a lot of crap for being inconvenient, but again, that's realistic. Artificially tolerating antagonists because you want to keep the game interesting on an OOC level just leads to a bunch of stupid antagonists that aren't bright enough to fit in the existing system. A good RP scene weeds out stupid evil people to make room for the smart ones.

3. A lot of people are trying out Isles of Aedin now. () It's kind of an RPA/RPE mud in the small, 10-20 player range right now. No real crafting, not much of an established economy, only a basic emote system, and I don't think private housing exists yet. But the playerbase RPs and seems pretty accepting of RP antagonism. Half the people there are rogues, who have skills that let them run around disguised and hidden most of the time, doing whatever suits them.

4. You really might consider sticking with Armageddon, if you like so many things about it, and just, you know, don't die. It's a pretty ferocious world, and the playerbase can sometimes be pretty ferocious, too, but people aren't running around killing and griefing just because. If you and your friend keep things reasonable, you shouldn't end up dead early on.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote