View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #243
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

This is what bothered me about this most when we went through the same thing with the Aardwolf listing then the Threshold listing. If you alert people interested in MUDs that the discussion is taking place, you are written off as "soliciting" or "campaigning" (I don't remember the exact term they used). So basically, if you're not in the discussion when it started, your opinion doesn't count because you were "solicited".

So you have a discussion about MUDs vs Wikipedia Policies, where 90% of the people sticking up for the MUDs don't count while these high school kids who live and breathe Wikipedia policies throw them back at you all day long. Anyone showing up to speak on behalf of MUDs is written off even though they are the people who know the most about MUDs.

It's like having a discussion here about Wikipedia and telling the Wikipedia admins their opinions of Wikipedia don't count because they're new and they only joined TMS to take part in the discussion of Wikipedia. Even though they know how Wikpedia works better than anyone else, if they don't know the inner workings of TMS and the entire history of the MUD genre then their opinion on Wikipedia clearly shouldn't count either, particularly if one of their friends pointed out this discussion to them and became guilty of "soliciting".

Looking back the only thing I really regret about that whole thing is how much time I put into trying to fight the delistings. It wasn't worth it, and wouldn't have been worth it even if it had been successful.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote