View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
AlfonzFred

AlfonzFred is on a distinguished road
Experienced Staff Member Looking for Work

Greetings!

I have been playing MUD's for over 15 years now. I've seen great ones and terrible ones.
On several occasions I have been promoted to immortal/dev/wizard what have you, and have held various admin positions.

Recently I have been gone from the MUD community, but I recently decided to pursue a degree in Software Engineering.
As I delved deeper into the programming courses, I started reflecting on those days, now past, where I would wake up to
code for a few hours on an area, play a few, and then rush to work.

By choice, most of my experience is in building, though I nearly always end up placing large blots of code to add depth to my environments.

As an example:

I might create an trash ridden plaza. During further examinations it is revealed you might be
able to search the trash.. which in turn has a random output of over 20 items. You might also discover a hidden
passage, and broken paper machine. The paper machine would offer a few functions delving into prying it apart to get a the last paper inside,
while the passage leads to a hidden questing area that you will be able to get to with ease in the future.

I enjoy adding richness and depth by way of layered content. As a player I was nearly always
disappointed when looking for this in most MUD's, but I greatly enjoyed it when it was found.

I have also served as an administrator of a team of immortals, have been responsible for creating story, mudlib, help docs, recruiting, and much more.

I have some experience in just about every area of importance.

I have some specific criteria I'm looking for in the MUD I'll be working for. This list isn't meant to be offensive, or to belittle anyone's projects.
I am just a bit particular about where I end up, as all too often I have come across MUD's that dissolve with no warning, lack direction, and on
which I seem to be the only person who actually cares about whats going on. I want to find a place where I can work without having to worry
about those factors.

These are my Criteria:

* The MUD must have some activity. Whether this is a small core of 5 players, or a handful of devs
who care about the project, I care not. I just hate to be the only one actually putting effort toward
the project. Far too many MUDs are just thrown up by people who don't have any intention of
giving them direction.

* I am mostly experienced with LPC, so of course I would love to delve back into it. I'm also looking to try a
Java based MUD as I'm currently taking class' for Java. I will consider others. My code brain is adaptable,
but I will need to be able to interface with coding in some aspect to feel a true fit.

* The theme must be unique. I don't want to join a clone or cliche. I'm not genre biased. I can work on a
Sci-fi project as easily as a vampire based world, or a fantasy medieval kingdom. The more complexity and
room for creativity the better! Again this is merely to filter out those MUD's that are basically just mildly
altered stock, and lack real direction.

* Even if you don't feel my criteria fit your MUD I am flexible. Just tell me about your project. This list is
important, but a good project is more so.

I don't feel I'm asking too much, please respond if you would like to speak to me about working on your project.

And thanks for viewing!

Last edited by AlfonzFred : 10-21-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Updating Criteria, rewriting certain sections for clarity.
AlfonzFred is offline   Reply With Quote