View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #12
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Not the original question - it was a later poster who brought up displaying numbers in RP muds.

To be honest it sounds the problem there was more related to the level system than the revealing of numbers; even if you'd hidden the level, the same conclusions could have been reached with little extra effort.

I dislike seeing numbers in combat as well, regardless of whether or not it's an RP mud. The same applies (to a lesser extent) to showing other peoples numbers. But as others have said it's really a personal thing - I know some people who dislike even showing HP and suchlike, prefering to just give a description of injuries.

However providing the stats for equipment can be very useful if you're trying to provide an element of strategy (something which RP muds can also benefit from). This doesn't have to be just about big magical powers - it could be things like encumbrance, weapon reach, reload speeds, swing times, protection percentages verses different damage types, etc. I also like to display tables with available combat techniques, and I think it would be just too overwhelming to provide the player with descriptions of each of the 1000+ fighting techniques.

I suppose if your combat system is very basic, it wouldn't really matter that much.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote