View Single Post
Old 05-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #15
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
I rely heavily upon Pulp Fiction philosophy, so according to Mr. Wolf

So appearantly there is not much need to make mobs "indistinguishable" from players, only to give the outward appearance of intelligence.  This is very manageable, almost basic on some levels.  From smarter mobs in combat, mobs with goals, mobs that remember and hold grudges,  they all are implented in various forms all over the place.  My suggestion to you Torhan would be to check out some of the different muds that implent these kinds of things (usually they are very eager to promote these features, so finding which games to visit should be somewhat easy) and find out what you like/dislike, make your improvements and get the ball rolling.
As far a conversation goes, even the great scripts like the and similar bots were not able to hold up under close inspection.  Even if there were the capabilities to create indistinguishable bots, conversation included, I'm not so sure that I would want it. What I am getting out of conversation with mobs is a decent Q&A that draws from a knowledge bank.  Talking to a farmer about the weather, how it affects his crops.  A shopkeeper may know about any recent violence in the area or any known thieves.  Do the conversations need to hold up to human-to-human level?  I  try to keep them as seperate beasts, talk to mobs to get tidbits of info, talk to humans because thats where the strong relationships will be formed.
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote