View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Social Media/Facebook Use Survey - Please Read!

As you've posted this on the forum, which is specifically for discussions about new directions in RPGs and advanced concepts in MUD development, I'm going to assume you're also looking for feedback and debate about your survey and the subjects it covers. If that's not the case, and you just accidently posted on the wrong forum, you may want to ask a moderator to split the thread and move your post. But this is quite an interesting subject, and certainly worthy of some design discussions.

One query I do have is with this part:

Type: [ MUD/MOO/MUCK/MUSH - Not Codebase ]

MOO, MUCK and MUSH are codebases. To be more precise, MOO (MUD Object Oriented) is a custom codebase inspired by TinyMUD, while MUCK and MUSH are both derivatives of TinyMUD (in the same way that, for example, Merc and Circle are both derivatives of DikuMUD). I'd therefore suggest rephrasing the above based on the data you're looking for - for example, if you're interested in the overall family rather than the specific codebase you might phrase it as:

Family: [ AberMUD/TinyMUD/LPMud/DikuMUD/Other ]

Moving on to the main concept itself, my view (which I've seen expressed by others as well) is that in general muds are too complex to appeal to most Facebook users - the audience is just too different. In fact, just a couple of days ago while discussing this on another forum, a mud owner "FYI, my iPhone app brought about 20 thousand users to the game last year. Only a handful stayed. The Facebook app will bring far less new users and I don't expect it to attract or retain any even though it's more visual than any other desktop MUD client I know of. What would most likely happen is that those who play the game already will use the FB app on occasion. And it may become a nice community space over time."

However, as I've also , I feel that some of the minigames offered by certain muds could make good candidates for being turned into Facebook applications - and these could even be linked with the mud in some way. An example I gave was that of a simplified Dungeon Keeper style game, where users of the Facebook application design and maintain dungeons (stylistically a little bit like Farmville), and those dungeons get automatically turned into content for the mud. The Facebook users would then rack up scores based on how successfully their dungeons kept out intruders, and of course you could try to encourage them to test their own dungeons by playing the mud.

Other possibilities for Facebook applications might include crafting games (with the demand and pricing based on the needs of the mud, and the end products being sold within the mud), city building games, etc. The idea would be to create a sort of symbiotic relationship between the app and the mud, so that they promote each other, rather like the concept I've discussed in the past.

Twitter isn't something I use, but I vaguely recall discussions in the past about using a similar concept for informing players about game updates - particularly for time-critical events (for example, informing players when their clan base is under attack). It might also be a good way of keeping players in the loop even if they don't log on regularly, perhaps even encouraging former players to come back if they're still following the updates and see something particularly cool.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote