View Single Post
Old 05-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
Not to improperly bump a 'dead' topic, but Brody asked. ;>

In playing an-RP "encouraged" MUD, I must say, we are probably NOT the best environment for a dyed-in-the-wool hardcore RP player. There is no real opportunity for full-bore RP, because every new player WILL be greeted, usually by name, on public channels. We've had RP'ers stop by, and it usually lasts all of 10 to 30 minutes. ;>

It is very difficult for the populace on my game to adapt to an RP'er. Our HnS ways are just too ingrained, and the fact that eq doesn't save at logout (for GOOD, solid, in-game reasons, mind you) often forces the 'regulars' to really try and help newbies to understand 'how things work HERE.' This does NOT lead to an immediate immersion in the type of RP other places offer.

I know that our several of our admin over the years have mourned the lack of true RP opportunities on the game. I myself mourn that the true RP crowd only gives us 20 minutes, because I'd like to see more of 'em stick around. But, sadly, we're not to their taste, and I can't blame 'em. I don't give *their* games over 40 minutes, m'self, so, how can I complain? ;>

I do think that RP-encouraged games offer the same types of history, racial and guild/clan type affiliations, and basic structure for low-level RP, or long-term RP, but immediate immersion is sadly not 'feasible' most of the time. Player interaction is not 'rewarded,' and Imms are not actively involved in the comings, goings, and doings of the mortals.

But I've seen many players who spoke in vernacular, much like our Pirate friend earlier in this thread. They added an enormous dimension to the game, and their voices are missed greatly. However, we DO tend to annoy true RP'ers, because everything under the sun is chatted about everywhere from rooms to global channels. We non-RP types tend to ruin the immersion experience for the hardcores. But I've seen RP'ers just ignore all of us, and continue on RPing for years, developing characters who were Guild leaders, and inspirations to many of us.

Slog, Slayfist, Flp, Elros, Quex (not that you are likely reading this, heh)... I miss y'all. You showed me that RP *CAN* exist in RP encouraged environments, despite all the chatter. Thank you.
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote