View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with RPI-Engine

Well, uh, no.

I'm not talking about libs. I'm talking about things like pointer addition. take the following.
int a[5];
int *x = a;
x = x + 4;
Depending on a whole bunch of things, x may now be pointing to a[1], or halfway between: if the compiler decides that int needs to be 64-bit, bad things happen. This may work, depending on compiler: you may now be pointing to the second half of a[0] and the first half of a[1].

My point is, if the original coders assumed that it would always only run on 32-bit, i.e. because there's code from before 64-bit was even an idea, bad things *may* happen. Have a look at older versions of ldmud for an example: they had to make a whole separate branch for 64-bit, and it still isn't done. *properly written* c++ will work, but since when are mud codebases properly written. Basically, who knows, but if it has any old code from diku, it probably will have an obscure bug related to this at some point.

Atonement rpi has a working distant descendant of the SoI codebase, but I think it's tuned for sci-fi. I don't know anything about it, at all.

Get a vps. Bhost.net has them for like $5 a month, and I know of at least one mud using them (epitaph, btw, by someone who worked on discworld for 10 years, and it'll be awsum when it opens). If you're going to go all out and try to get this working, get a vps and save yourself the headaches. If you know where to look, you can get them fairly cheaply; I know bhost is cheap and dentin likes either linode or bluemile, I can't remember which. Nowadays, it's easy to set this up; select linux distro and click go.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote