Thread: Builders
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
That shouldn't be an issue, as long as you planned it carefully. A mine could be dug into the side of the mountain (or an existing mine might collapse). A village could be built in what was previously untamed wilderness, or an existing village might become a town (or get burnt down). A magical battle might destroy a forest, or a powerful druid might cause a new forest to sprout from the ground. And so on.

If you have a clear 'beta' mode, with pfile wipes afterwards, you could even incorporate the old areas into the history of the game - the beta mode's quickly thrown-together starting city might be visible as ancient ruins in the final game for example (although obviously it'd no longer be the starting city, and the descriptions would be completely redone).

Areas you don't want to remove could be enhanced, their descriptions updated and polished, until they reach the quality you require.

For some muds I think this approach could work quite well, I just think that for an RP mud it might give a bad first impression.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote