View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #17
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Science or Fiction?

I've got to agree with Kavir. I have yet to really find a game that was really Science Fiction instead of Science Fantasy (and in some cases I'd even be hesitant to add "science" to the front of it).

I'm reminded of an essay by Isaac Asimov (found in his last published collection, Gold) entitled "The Name of our Field". He talked about the difference between science fiction, or SF, and sci-fi. He gave a short summary of the evolution of the name and examples of how SF and sci-fi differed based on their approach to the material.

When you look at the application of science fiction in MUDs, you find that quite often (I'll restrain myself from saying in all cases) it's little more than window dressing, using a poor (or complete lack of) understanding of science to create a setting that really isn't rooted in anything remotely based on science. It's just fantasy but with "laser" added to the front of "sword" and spaceships instead of horse carts.

There might be various reasons for this but three that I've observed are the sometime lack of intelligence, education and maturity in the individuals creating these games; a lack of suitably intelligent, educated, and mature players interested in such games; and difficulty in translating science fiction into a format that will appeal to enough people to make a game worth developing. I've seen a definite parallel between science fiction and historical themes/settings in regard to these three problems though I believe that there's no reason all three can't be overcome.

Not everyone out there is an ignorant moron but there certainly is a dearth of individuals interested in creating both science fiction and historical themed games instead of fantasy, be it science fantasy or whatever. Four years ago I conducted a poll of gamers in the role-playing and gaming organization I founded while in college. Given the choice of science fiction, medieval history, classical history, other history, medieval fantasy, other fantasy, and other, the number that chose medieval fantasy or fantasy exceeded the other five by a factor of nearly ten to one. In short, the people with the ability aren't often interested and the people interested don't always have the ability, at least not in any number large enough to accomplish their goals.

If I ever get the game I'm working on right now finished, my plan for a second game is to try and tackle a science fiction one. But at the slow rate this one's progressing, I don't expect to even begin contemplating attempting the design of another game until the later half of next decade.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote