View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 03:57 AM   #44
nhl

nhl is on a distinguished road
Laws do not equal ethics, Amen to that. Then why are you questioning my ethics, claim that "my value-set comes under fire" (or even worse, try to claim that I am ethically grouped with some people that I don't even know) for participating in a discussion about the legal aspect of the license? Is my ethics so horribly bad for pointing out that there are lawyers (as consulted by me, Medievia and also by Matt, among others) that feel that Medievia would be likely to prevail in this case? We're merely stating what has been told to us. I am sure there are lawyers who feel differently too. IPR litigation is horribly complex - it's not just a matter of quoting a section of law - it is even more about interpreting it. There's a nice article about this at. It's interesting to note that in the Lotus v. Borland copyright litigation, even the US Supreme court was divided (4-4) on the issue. It's naive to claim there is only one absolute legal truth in these matters.

Also, a newsflash - there is no uniform, heterogeneous "text-mmorpg society" that "has vastly decided" anything. Only a small fraction of the admins of the "text-mmorpg society" even frequent these forums (and honestly, I see why), and even less players. This thread alone is a fine example, that even in this small group of people who do frequent the forum, there are numerous different positions on the matter. There are some people who have made up their mind in one direction, there are others who have made up their mind in another. And the overwhelming majority is somewhere in the middle, with little interest in this fight or who just haven't decided.

As for my agenda, I don't have one (I'm sure this would be easier for you to categorize and minimize me, if I was an evil capitalist person who is cashing in on his own MUD, but alas - the only profit I get from MUDs is personal enjoyment). But based on the zealous conviction with which you and KaVir have pushed forward on this topic, it seems obvious that you guys have one, and you can't tolerate any dissent. I have to wonder, if a US court would eventually rule in favor of Medievia, would your world shatter? Or would you be able to embrace their ruling and accept Medievia as a full, and equally respectable, member of the "text-mmorpg society"?
nhl is offline   Reply With Quote