View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #40
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I should point out that it is quite common for certain software applications to be free - but with adverts at the top. However frequent users can (and will) then pay to get rid of the annoying banner/s.

Now if people are willing to shell out cash to get rid of that annoying advertising, don't you think they're going to be even more willing to spend a couple of seconds clicking on a voting link to get the same result? The result is therefore a form of reward (you no longer get spammed) which skews the result just as much as any other.

Some muds may only send the voting message once per day, or once per 12 hours, but (until the rule clarification) there was nothing stopping other muds from spamming the player once an hour, or even more frequently. Imagine having a mud which placed the request in every room description, or at the beginning of your prompt, or spammed it once per minute.

Like Dunestalker, I agree that the rule clarification is a good thing. Trying to make exceptions is generally a bad idea - better by far to have clear guidelines that can't be bent, because it's clear already that people are more than willing to bend the rules as much as they can.

Of course just as a rule clarification in a mud is going to upset those players who benefit from it, so the rule clarification here has upset those mud admin who were benefiting from it. The_logo's was upset when he had to stop rewarding players for voting, so obviously he's going to be equally upset now that he has to stop spamming those who don't - but in the long run, I think it's the fairest solution.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote