View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #64
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Actually, no, you can't, and the reasons why are well-understood in the developer community. There has been one design that's been proposed by Randy Farmer (who did the Lucasarts Habitat virtual world back in the late 80s) that makes Ebaying/selling items for money very difficult, but it's not been implemented as it doesn't appear to make for a very fun game.

I can prove money can have an affect on gameplay in Carrion Fields, but it takes some effort on my part. I'm willing to do it if you're willing to sign a contract obligating you to pay my costs after I succeed. Here is what I'd do:

1. Either post here or use our adspace here or on Mudconnector to advertise that I'm looking for Carrion Players, and will pay someone $100 for some item of trivial value. If that gets no responses, I'll just increase the amount. I don't know what game currency you guys use, but I'd think that there are a lot of kids who would happily sell me 1 of the smallest denomination of currency for $100.

2. Sign a contract with the person obligating me to pay them and them to give me the item.

3. Screenshot the transfer of the item specified in the contract.

I mean, trivially, all I have to do is have a friend create a character in CF, pay him $20, and have him give me a gold piece. There, gameplay has been affected, and all you guys know is that a gold piece (or whatever) changed hands, since it looks absolutely no different from any other transfer.

Btw, if you're interested, here's Randy's article:

And the resulting Terranova discussion:

You might also check out which is auctions for stuff on another text MUD (Gemstone).

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote