View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #109
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: The "Health," of Muds

Hmm. Was thinking something more.. complex than Ultima 6 though. lol Still, my point in talking "graphical" ones is that its a bit like expecting people to go back to SNES games, when someone just released Halo: Reach. The core remains the same, on some level, even in newer ones (though the comparison for SNES might be better if it was to the newest Final Fantasy). I don't think you can separate the core design from the mere fact that it *has* graphics, then whine about whether there is some threat for muds. The people doing so do not mean "muds", they mean, "Our old, retro style, muds." They still make stuff *today* that looks like old SNES stuff. And, some people still play them, but its just not reasonable to assume that, with all the options out there, there is really a vast sea of untapped players, who want to play a game with the text client, no graphics at all, in most cases, etc. Hell, half the posts on the Mushclient forum have ranged from making the mapper it finally has work with different muds, to using its new graphics supporting mini-windows to create inventory systems (in at least one case, a graphical one). Its not far from that to someone going, "Hmm. I wonder if I could "design" rooms to display, which showed what was actually here. Heck, my own thought had been to use a sort of SDL, which could send, as plain text, the data needed to produce a 3D image of a room, without having to store all the data to do that local.

Mind, that idea would require making it work with like OpenGL or something, and a fast connection, so all the data could get there in a sane time frame, but.. if your normal players are thinking of graphics enhancements, even *while* playing text...
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote