View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Lisaera

Lisaera is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm an admin on a MUD so I would say in our case coded systems often overwhelm RP, at least for many of our players. This isn't to say that they can't work together, however, I think coded systems can be excellent tools to accentuate and enhance RP - and I think this is accomplished by choice.

By choice I mean adding in methods, be it player abilities, different options when choosing something that affects coded game elements, or just different paths to complete the same quests. An example of this would be in our MUD the player cities can choose a style of government, which affects the benefits they receive from their villages, but it also affects the titles of the ranks of the city. This means the way they choose in the coded system of government affects their RP by making it obvious to them and the rest of the game what style of city they are - despots or capitalists, for example!

One of the other things I mentioned was different paths to complete the same quests, this is something I loved as a player, whether I was playing a single player RPG or a multiplayer game such as a MUD, MUSH or graphical MMORPG. While I know more than most how much more time, energy and hassle this can be (especially while debugging), I do think that when it is possible, it usually pays off to do it.
Lisaera is offline   Reply With Quote