View Single Post
Old 10-28-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Edited to add: The example for Armageddon that I post a few paragraphs down is hypothetical. I do not believe the Armageddon staff has such a policy. I'm making it up just to show the possibility of such policies.

Personally, I would love to see the game which -requires- its staff to play as mortal PCs.

KaVir hits the nail on the head. Staffers lose touch with the game the longer they neglect to play. And yes, I see this as neglect. How much of a vested interest would you have in a game that you don't even play? How many commercial games on the market (I'm talking board games, Nintendo, and the like) are created of the "genius" of the idea man, who never even bothered creating a proto-type and playing it himself? And of those commercial games, how many failed to reach the target audience due to lack of interest?

Further, whenever a staffer who doesn't play, changes something the players don't like, it is WAY too easy to say "Well what does HE know? He isn't even one of us players! He's ruining the game for us and making changes that will have effects on us, that he can't possibly see from his high spot on the immortal throne!"

Sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't true. But the fact of the matter is, the perception lurks among the player base, and that kind of perception will always be destructive to a game.

Solutions: Not foolproof or failsafe, but easily implemented:

1) An IMM cannot create a PC in a high position in any clan.

2) An IMM cannot create a PC to be played in a clan that opposes the clan he's in.

3) An IMM cannot create a PC to be played in a clan that is allied in the clan he's in.

In otherwords (using the example of Armageddon, which is my current gaming experience):

Imm works for Borsail. Borsail is hostile toward Oash. Imm cannot create a PC for the intention of being hired by Oash. If his PC is recruited to work for Oash through natural game-play, he either refuses, or lets the senior staff know *immediately* that there might be a conflict of interest. The Senior Staff then knows to keep an eye out on things to make sure everything is on the up and up. For the duration of that PC's life, a partner IMM handles all interaction between the two opposing clans, on behalf of Borsail. The IMM with the Oash PC steps aside when any interaction/intervention is needed during plotlines involving the hostilities.

Another point: Imm CANNOT play his PC while he is logged in as a staff member. If he is logged in playing his PC and an IMM is needed, he MUST log out his PC first.

Last point: Imms must attempt to remain anonymous. No telling your buddy who you KNOW you can trust, when you are hired to be a staff member. No sudden disappearance of your player identity on the GDB and the equally sudden appearance of your staff identity, which makes it just so obvious you might as well just wear a sign on your forehead. Any staffer caught intentionally divulging his player identity (or vice versa) to anyone else in the player base is removed from staff.

If the players don't know which PC is played by which IMM, then there is FAR less risk of accused favoritism/cheating. Players are pretty smart - and some will figure it out anyway. But an IMM who intentionally tells people is creating a risk where there might not have been one in the first place.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote