View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
What is your experience with any of the above applications? It seems Cold C and DGD both would be simply tools with which to build a mud from scratch. It seems DGD is under the Skotos umbrella, although I just recently discovered iChat uses it, and there appear to be numerous options open if you want to try to go commercial with it, though fundamentally it is indeed very expensive.

There are no codebases that in and of themselves seem to do what I want, though there is at least one implementation of a mud in MudOS, highly modified, that comes close, that being Accursed Lands.

The purpose of this thread for me though is not so much to find out what I need as to sort of lay out what the features are of all the codebases, applications, languages and so forth out there that could be used, and what if anything any of them have prepared already in the way of worlds that already exist.

Diku and LP are obvious choices, and I welcome input about them as well.

I want to create a chart basically, perhaps a little more involved than the website in terms of discussing in depth the capabilities of codebases that are actually up and running, rather than a list of ones that may or may not be up, may or may not be supported, and that sort of thing.

ColdC, languages like Ruby, and so forth, get tossed around when people ask about getting a game started as well, and I would like to see more in depth information on how it is people think they could be used, or even what exactly is already included in ColdC for that matter.

What would eventually come out would look something like this:

Name: LpMud
Function: Server software for telnet with included interpreted language based on C.
Pros: Free to use, widespread support.
Cons: Older codebase, may not be used commercially.
Comments: Here I would attempt to break down anything and everything anyone had to say about their experience with the software being discussed, including perhaps for LpMud the difference between the driver and the mudlib, for example.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote