View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Re: Needed: a mud to play

Well, you could always give Dragon's Exodus a shot. We are a relatively smaller game, with 10-20 players online (lower during the US night time). Its a multicultural game with people logging in from all parts of the world (thus, our staff is from the US, Asia, Europe and Australia). DE has been around for a decade and has over the years acquired a rather loyal playerbase that combines RPers and hack and slashers both. The age of players varies widely, with the youngest players probably as young as 9, and going on into the 60s (we try to stick to a PG 13 rating on all channels, in RP and certainly in the areas). I guess we have all the standard bells and whistles of most MUDs.

Now why would I recommend DE specifically? Well, one reason is that we are smaller than some of the MMPROGs out there. This has two implications, your people will receive individual attention from the players and from our mentors (dedicated group of people for helping new players). If there is anything needed specifically in view of the pedagogic function, we could see about that too. Secondly, and its easier to feel lost in a HUGE game with 100s of people and be simply disoriented in the midst of a lot of information and a gigantic world. A smaller game with a simpler interface (but with a lot of stuff still going on), would probably be easier for a new learner to cope with. I guess a lot of people may disagree with that, however, thats what I feel. Lastly, we have had visits from teachers who introduced DE as part of special ed classes in the past. Therefore, its not something we havent done before. I guess I am an educationist too (albeit not a teacher), and DE does try to be genuinely new player/children friendly.

I thought I should add that if you DO decide to give us a shot, it would help to get in touch with me/Enke/Aerick the other admins explaining about the circumstances and your requirements before you login so that we keep the mentors informed about 6 chars logging in with a slightly different set of requirements than the rank and file of the players seeking to rush to next level. If would also help to know your mud names to keep the characters saved in case the students head out for vacation etc (happened once before when a low lvl character of one of the special ed students got auto-pwiped when he/she went away for a few months; got the character back, but it took a while to find backup and its better to avoid frustration to begin with).

Last edited by Kleothera : 09-21-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote