View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #4
Sinuhe

Sinuhe is on a distinguished road
The best zone that I’ve seen so far is called Fenizia, in a mud called 4 Dimensions.

Why?

Because it is innovative, immersive, consistent and has an elaborate and intriguing background story, going all the way back to the foundation of that city. The history of Fenizia is well documented through a number of documents in the City Library, and through references to other zones in the mud with connections to Fenizia’s violent past. The library also holds a rich documentation of different kinds of poison, because poison in all forms is a common method for the inhabitants to deal with their enemies. (I’ve heard that the zone was created around the mud’s particular brand of the player skill poison_weapon).

But there is also a more recent plot in Fenizia, with a member of one of the ruling families mysteriously disappearing. Everything in the zone revolves around this mystery, and solving it is the main quest. There are clues to what happened everywhere, through letters or notes stashed away in secret drawers or behind hidden doors, through gossiping citizens in the streets and through clandestine conversations between some of the ruling class, which you can eavesdrop to in certain rooms. (I’ve also heard that this zone was the first to introduce the ‘listen, smell, taste and feel’ descriptions, as well as the ability to look behind, above and under things, which most of their zones now seem to feature).

It’s a very hard zone to conquer of course, even getting through the city gate by figuring out the password is a major pain, especially since once you’ve succeeded, you realise how ridiculously simple it really was, and want to kick yourself.

This zone kept me amused, frustrated and entertained for an amazingly long time, and that’s a rare feature in most mud zones.
Sinuhe is offline   Reply With Quote