Thread: The Grind
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: The Grind

I have seen three ways that games have eliminated the grind by design:

1. Time-based advancement

This is where your skills advance in real time, no matter if you play or not. Eve Online (and the now defunct Seed) use this system. However, Eve does not altogether eliminate grinding, as money and reputation with NPC factions are still obtained by grinding.

A couple MUSHes and MUXes I know of use this system too. Chronicles of Amber and the upcoming Road to Amber use it that I know of.

This is my favorite method of advancement by far.

2. RP points

Many MUSHes and MUXes use a voting scheme where players nominate others for good RP, which translates into character points. This is typically the only way to advance, there being no concept of PvE in most of the games, so no XP system either. Windy City and LA: A House Divided use this system.

3. GM-awarded XP

I've also seen a MUSH where advancement comes by way of GM awarded XP (Into the Black). I'm not sure how they decide, but points were slow in coming (maybe up to 5 in a year).

I've listed these methods in order of my preference, any of which I would take over any bash-for-XP, or meaningless quest-for-XP system (to the point where I refuse to play an XP-based system anymore, MUD or MMOG). But then again, I only want to play an RP MUSH/MUX (not to leave out the MOO/MUCK fans, but I haven't tried one of those yet).
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote