Thread: Graphic Maps
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #46
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Graphic Maps

The problem is also that there are Java MUD client applets out there already that can be used, e.g MudMagic has made one avaible(). The MUD Connector also has a Java client on their website, it is unfortunate they don't link to it from their MUD searches(). The MUD Connector one suffers from flicker when redrawing and it needs improved colour support as well .

In the case of MUD Connector(TMC) it acts as a proxy so everyone who connects through it gets a TMC IP on the MUD. That could also be seen as an issue because the admins of a MUD might want to know who connects so they can properly moderate their game. It could be nice if the MUD community made a standard for these proxies so you could query the real IP through telnet negotiation(assuming no such standard for telnet proxies already exist). Of course it can also be seen as a security issue as passwords and other data go through the 3rd party proxy. It might also be a bandwidth issue for TMC to proxy the connections.

MudMagic has Java applet as well on their website but it is unlike TMC connected to the MUD listing entries. So instead of using Windows telnet to connect you can click and chose their Java client to connect to the MUD. Their Java client seem to work quite well but it doesn't properly support colours on the MUD I tested it on . Lag is also an issue . The MUD I tried is located in my country but with their proxying applet the connection is relayed through the US.

Anyway the TMC one would be nice if it was improved and actually used on the MUD listing now that Vista appearently has thrown away the Windows telnet client.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote