View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
HaiWolfe

HaiWolfe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HaiWolfe
I wholeheartedly recommend as a MUD that fits essentially all your wants.

Roleplay is mandatory, of course, but what I think sets Arm apart from many of the other roleplay-required MUDs out there (and the reason it's the one game I keep going back to) is its sheer potential for storytelling and character development.

There are no levels and advancement is completely skill-based. You select a starting skillset and get better at things like fighting, crafting, riding a mount, and so forth by doing them. There are endless possibilities for non-combat characters, from armor and weaponsmiths, stoneworkers, cooks, herbalists, and tailors (to name just a few of many crafts), to nobles' aides, to con-artists and spies.

Armageddon's staff is among the most professional and courteous I've come across in all my time MUDding.

There is a unique system of and the culture and attitudes surrounding it, which I think you might like. The only caveat is that play of magicker characters is restricted until you've proven yourself trustworthy to the staff of handling such power.

I have to emphasize this again because this really is the biggest draw to the game for me. Playing Arm is like becoming a living, thinking, and feeling character in a never-ending novel, one with an incredibly intricate, detailed, and convoluted plotline co-written by hundreds of creative players and staff over the course of a decade. This is not an exaggeration in the slightest bit. There are players and even staff who have been around for years, and feel as though they've barely scratched the surface of the history, conspiracy and intrigue that is Zalanthas, the world Arm takes place in. You can act out the story arc of your character in as mundane or epic a manner as you want, limited only by your imagination and persistence.

In this game, players have scraped and toiled for their next drink of water, smuggled illegal goods for risky profits, risen from lowly recruits to high-ranking officers, rallied armies and laid siege to city-states, settled down and raised families, schemed and plotted the assassination of nobles, traveled the dunes between cities and outposts to conduct trade, raided merchant caravans, composed and performed bardic songs, and terrified a populace with foul magicks, or been the arm of the merciless law to bring the enemy down.

Every great plotline has a real and lasting impact on the gameworld. The friends you make and the paths you follow are entirely up to you. Death, which is permanent, only opens the door for you to jump back in with a new concept and try out yet another of the myriad aspects this game has.

Well, I've rambled on long enough. I hope some of this has piqued your interest enough to check the place out, read through the documentation on the website, and decide if Zalanthas is the right home for you.
HaiWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote