View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 12:03 AM   #18
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
Not to be flippant or discouraging, but asking a question like this is like saying 'I'm just learning to drive a car, how long will it be before I can drive in the Indy 500?'

There is far more to learning to program than just learning the language. It is a unique way of thinking and solving problems. The programming language is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you know how to program, learning another language is a piece of cake.

Chosing Python as a first language is a good choice, it lends itself quite well to learning good habits and techniques. However, don't expect to be coding a mud in a couple weeks or months.

I wouldn't recommend coding a mud in Python though. It'd make a good embedded scripting language, but it doesn't lend itself to the fiddly bit bashing that communications protocols require. If I had to code a mud from scratch, I'd go with C++.

On the other hand, if I were building a mud, I wouldn't code it from scratch either. Chose a codebase and built off of that. For most of them you'd need C, but I think the best way to go is use LPMUD or LDMUD and code it in LPC.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote