View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #41
Maraz

Maraz is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if others would agree, but I see the point of a RP orientated MUD of being a chance to tell the story of a character. The best thing about it is that you are telling the story with other people. As you are playing with other people you have a responsibility to others to keep in character. If the world is supposed to be based on real historical culture it is fair to expect people to abide by it.

MUDs should provide a variety of settings in which to tell the story of your character. If the setting you want for your story is one where gender inequality exists then what's the problem. MUDs can be about creating your idealised self - but they don't have to be. I never found much enjoyment in creating an idealised character, because I learnt nothing from it and couldn't feel any link to that character. Instead I like to roleplay someone who has faults, emotions and weaknesses that I can explore.

I have no problem with MUDs that allow for self-realisation, that's great, but there is a demand for "realistic" (I don't like using that word but I couldn't find anything better) atmoshperes. Simple market forces dictate that MUDs will emerge that restrict what you can achieve, because there are people who want that.

In intensive roleplay the actions of the character should be based on their own aspirations, rather than the player's. I don't see why a female character should be told what their aspirations should be, but I do think that in an accurate historical world it would be reasonable for the world to work against their achievement of their aspirations. As unfair as this is, it shouldn't lessen the enjoyment of the game if it is for the sake of roleplay. Infact if anything, like others have mentioned, it should increase the enjoyment because roleplaying the struggle of a character is usually more interesting than roleplaying a character who has achived their aspirations. After all if roleplay is seen as the process of telling a story (which it may not be for everyone) it requires an element of struggle and transformation for the character.

I don't think that creating a gender gap (in a roleplayM MUD at least) is anti-feminist. Infact a MUD where gender roles played an important part would more rightly be seen as of interest to feminists. If you read a book about a woman struggling to achieve her goals in a male orientated world you would rightly consider it to be adressing a feminist issue. A MUD which effectively does the same thing is no different.

-PS One in the morning where I am and I've just been out so I appologise for any of this post that is unclear.
Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote