View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004, 06:41 AM   #23
Alice

Alice is on a distinguished road
That is indeed the system we use - the inventory command becoming similar to the default 'eq' command.  

There are many workarounds with this - for example selling containers holding many similar items instead of selling each item one by one, a simple 'empty' or 'fill' command to manipulate many items at once.  It can of course get quite frustrating at times, and so it better used in a more rp focused mud, or one that uses many other realistic features.  On the other hand, if this feature was used on a mud where mobs drop many items and the whole premise of the game is too kill as many creatures as possible, then it would be a pointless and infuriating system (I would hate to 'get all from corpse;put all in pack' a couple of times per corpse).  

I do see your point about realism compromising gameplay, but think in some cases it can enhance gameplay (for example every item being useable as a weapon).  Saying that, such a system does take a lot of time and effort and if I were to create my own mud, I doubt I would even consider to implement this for that reason.  

If an opponent is unarmored, any long object would do fine offensively - you'd just have to be more skilled in using it than your opponent is with his weapon.    

Trying to get back on the original topic, types of weapons really would depend on the type of of combat - of the top of my head I can't think of many wars (pre explosives and bullets) that use much more than swords, axes, daggers, pikes, maces in melee combat (unless you have the peasants uprising with their pitch forks and such).
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote