View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #31
The_Fury

The_Fury is on a distinguished road
Re: custom clients. Good or bad?

I think your connecting dots that do not exist here Kavir. The very people that i intend to market my game to are players of web based MMO's, graphical muds and the like. There is a huge segment of the gaming market in the 12 to 19 y/o bracket who play games on a more casual basis, games that are quick and fun and do not have huge learning curves or are overly technical, that do not take huge inputs of time to be successful at. It would also appear that this segment is more willing to try something different and are more easily persuaded by their friends to have a go.

I would not say that i am discouraging them, but rather i am intentionally ignoring them as i do not see them as my target audience. In just the same way as a large segment of the mud community does not see DBZ players as their target audience, being that they are generally young and somewhat immature,( which really is to be expected,) where as other muds cater for a more mature audience.

What DBZ was able to do however, was to bring young people from other styles of games into the world of text based games, something i dont see a lot of from other mud genres. They came from runescape from pokemon online from other tamagotchi type web games. And while the established muds slammed anyone from DBZ, they were able to do the very thing that most muds cannot do, and thats grow new players into the mudding world.

I did not say that anyone would be expected to leave. Rather i said that the game was designed to keep someone interested for around 6 months, a time that my research suggests that the target demographic get sick of a game and naturally move on.
The_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote